Sunday, March 22, 2015

Winter Project Progess

Over the past few months, I've been kicking it into a bit higher gear in terms of working on projects. Trying to get a lot of partially finished projects completed, as well as get some news ones underway and done. I thought I'd just post some recap pictures of some of the things I've done since Christmas instead of trying to do a bunch of posts more in depth. I hope you enjoy! 

First up was doing the marquetry for the top of the shaker box I made several years ago. I'd been trying to decide between a few patterns and so not getting anywhere, so I eventually just picked this one. It's Link and Epona from Zelda. And I couldn't resist hiding a little Triforce as a surprise under the lid. This is the box with the cut marquetry before assembly and finishing. 

Here is the top of the box completed with finish.

And here's the underside of the lid. 

I hadn't turned anything in about a year, and wanted a simple project to wet my feet again. I decided to go for a doorstop as the front door kept slamming in the wind. I figured any mistakes wouldn't be noticed at all! I chose a random piece of wood from my stash, I have no idea what it is, but the grain and colour are quite beautiful. 

I also spent a bunch of time making a new "tower" of giraffes. (apparently that's what a group of them are called!) The fabric I used to get is discontinued, so I tried three new ones this time. They're all quite cute. 

I've been watching quite a few YouTube woodworkers, and I'd seen a few recently making Jointer's Mallets, which are big beefy all wood mallets that you use for chiseling or persuading joints to fit together. I figured I'd try one out, as using a tool you've made is always very satisfying! 

A better view of the nice wood grain - also from the mystery pile! 

I had this marquetry cut already from the Turned Tealight project I did. This was the inverse of the image. It seemed to nice to toss, so I'd kept it, and when I came across it, I figured I'd might as well turn it into a small wall picture. 

In case you're wondering about the sudden incentive to get my butt in gear, we are expecting a baby in August, so I figure I'd better get as many projects as I can done now, before I get too big, and then later, have my hands quite full with a new big project!! 

No comments: