Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Whale of a Tale

A few months ago, my bestest friend, found a whale tissue box holder on Etsy that she loved. She sent me the link, and her exact comment was:
"LAURA!! Please please please please please please consider making one of these."

Well, as I was looking for a project, the boxes were super cute and her birthday was imminent, I considered it! However, I wanted to put a bit of my own spin on it. So I decided to make a mini whale tissue box using those tiny pocket packages of  tissues, so that he could live on her desk at work and not take up too much room. This is especially fitting since she's a marine biologist!

I made him out of thin plywood using measurements from a small tissue package. I drew up a little tail and attached it to the box. I left the bottom open to allow easy access to replace the packet. I drill a hole in the top and rounded all the edges to ensure no snags. 

Here is is after I'd put on the first coat of paint. It's the only one I have with a clear scale to show how small he is. The little lego lady is taller than him! 

Here is is complete with his smile and eye and a clear coat on top. Luckily he survived the long mail voyage all the way to Edmonton, and is now enjoying his new home!

No comments: