Monday, July 9, 2012

Wooden Name Tag

Since I've moved here I've joined both the local woodturning club and more recently the marquetry club. The turning club requires a name tag - ideally turned, and if you're caught at a meeting without one you are supposed to make a $1 donation to the club. So this winter I finally had an idea for making one that involved both turning and marquetry, so that I could be covered for both. The backer disc is turned around the outside as well as a small indent in the front where I glued in the marquetry I cut with an exacto knife. I designed it with my name and a maple leaf on it as a conversation starter to meet new people. The whole thing is 3" across, and so the letters were very challenging and tiny, which is why I decided against removing the centers of the letters. I glued a pin to the back and now wear it and save a dollar every month at the meetings!

 

No comments: